home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Die Speccy' 97 / Die Speccy' 97.iso / amiga_system / the_aminet / comm / bbs / maxsbbsus.lha / MAX154 / TBM / Txt / parent.txt < prev    next >
Text File  |  1995-04-25  |  2KB  |  54 lines

3.   I was drifting through the ol' Murky News the other night, and came upon
  4. this little gem in the Ann Landers column.  If you're a parent, you might
  5. learn...(or should I say "recall"?)...a little something here:
  8.                         How To Be A Stupid Parent
  10.   1.  Discipline your children only when you lose your temper.  Let them get
  11. away with anything until you get fed up.  Then, let 'em have it!  Blow your
  12. top!  Holler!  Get wild!  Clobber them!
  14.   2.  Don't give your kids the impression you are approachable.  Remain
  15. aloof.  If you get too chummy, they'll want to talk things over and waste
  16. your time.
  18.   3.  If your children do something wrong, never let them forget it.  Keep
  19. rubbing it in.  They'll loathe you for it.  (A father was telling me in front
  20. of his son about the trouble the boy had gotten into five years before, when
  21. he was 13.  When the father went to answer the phone, his son muttered, "He
  22. makes me sick."  I felt like saying, "Me, too.")
  24.   4.  Give your child all the spending money he wants.  Don't make him earn
  25. it.  After a while, he'll want only your money and couldn't care less about
  26. you.
  28.   5.  Compare your child with someone else to make him smarten up.  Use the
  29. expression, "Why can't you be like your brother Johnny?"  Before long he'll
  30. despise both you and Johnny.
  32.   6.  Parents should always argue in front of their kids as to what they
  33. should and shouldn't be allowed to do.  This will encourage the kids to play
  34. one parent against the other.  Before long, your marriage will be in trouble,
  35. and so will the kids.
  37.   7.  Never assume that children can think for themselves.  Make all
  38. decisions for them.  When they are adults, they will be incapable of handling
  39. their lives.
  41.   8.  Treat your children suspiciously.  Never trust them.  If they turn out
  42. well, it won't be your fault.  It will be a miracle.
  45.                                *        *        *
  48.   Pretty good, huh?
  54. %Z